On August 26th, my best friend, Ashley got married in Chicago. A year prior she asked me to be her maid of honor. I was so excited to stand by my best friend on her big day!
As a maid of honor I had no idea all the tasks that were required of me. Unfortunately, due to the fact I live in Paris I was unable to perform some of them. HOWEVER, one very important task that was required was giving the maid of honor speech. After googling what to expect when giving the maid of honor speech or what to include during the wedding speech, I quickly realized everyone gave generic answers.
I’ve outlined this article in 2 parts, the first being what to expect and tips while giving your maid of honor speech and tips on how to write a maid of honor speech
Part 1: Here is what to expect and tips while giving your Maid of Honor Speech
- Unless you’re a professional speaker, you will be nervous, regardless the amount of times you’ve practiced. I like to pride myself on being an outgoing person, but even I was nervous.
- Don’t drink too much, for the number of obvious reasons, but one you probably didn’t think about is, if you drink too much you won’t be able to read your speech
- Print off your speech. The reason for this is to avoid your phone timing out and you having to awkwardly unlock your phone. (Just make sure you don’t lose your paper speech)
Part 2: Now that you know what to expect, here are a few tips on how to write your maid of honor speech. The key to a successful speech is to keep it short and lighthearted. Key word: Short.
- Start with your friendship history. Here I added in my favorite childhood memories, and a funny story
- Talk about the first time the bride meet her significant other. What were her thoughts are there any personal stories you remember her telling you. Was it love at first site?
- Next talk about the first time you met her significant other. What were your thoughts? Any stories about they way they looked at each other?
- Finally discuss how you know they are perfect for each other.
- Lastly toast them a happy and successful future.
That’s it, short and simple! This is the key to writing a successful maid of honor speech. I would recommend that you keep your speech to about 3 minutes. This leaves you room to improvise as you go. Remember not to read your speech word for word, but more as if your talking to friends about the people you care about. If anyone is interested in the speech I gave I’d be happy to upload it, just let me know!
Best of all good luck, and remember this is about your best friend on her special day!
Not sure exactly what to wear to a wedding, click here and read more about what I recommend.
Photos by Laura Fisher
Sincerely Petite in Paris,