Can I wear sneakers with a dress? If so, how can I pair sneakers with a dress has been a topic of conversation circulating in the fashion world for a while. The short answer is yes, pairing sneakers with a dress is the latest fashion trend that is here to stay. When I first moved to Paris, I was stunned by the amount of people who were wearing sneakers and a dress. I was always the first to say, if you’re wearing a dress you should wear wedges, heels, or flats. Ladies, the game has changed and let me be the first to tell you, I absolutely love this trend!
The arrival of sneakers into the fashion world has allowed us to throw out every rule book we’ve ever known. Sneakers are no longer only for working out and exercising. Sneakers can easily be incorporated into several different outfits. Goodbye to the days of packing your heels in a sack and changing right before an event or dinner. I’ve been observing women from Paris and other cities from around the world for a few years now, and I’ve seen the sneakers and dress trend being embraced by women worldwide.
Pairing sneakers with a dress can be tricky, but if you follow these 5 simple steps you’ll be pairing sneakers with a dress like a pro in no time!
- In my opinion, purchasing crisp white sneakers are the best investment. The reason I say this is because, white sneakers can easily be paired with both a solid colored dress and a patterned or striped dress. White sneakers are the equivalent to black heels, it’s a must have staple piece for every closet
- My next tip about wearing sneakers and a dress is, if you are wearing colorful sneakers it is best to choose a neutral colored dress. For example, if you have a pair of pink sneakers I’d recommending wearing them with a white dress.
- When you are pairing dress with sneakers any length of dress will work. For me personally, I like to pair sneakers with a shorter dress since all my long dresses have been altered for heels. However, I’ve seen many ladies wearing long, short, and mid length dresses with sneakers.
- Another styling tip when pairing sneakers with a dress, doesn’t have anything to do with the sneakers or the dress at all, but has everything to do with the socks. I recommend you wear low cut socks or no socks at all. If you are wearing low socks make sure they either match the shoes or are a neutral color. The reason for wearing no socks or low cut socks is it will make your legs appear longer, and it’s one less thing you have to match.
- Finally, my last tip when pairing sneakers with a dress knowing the right time to wear sneakers and a dress. Most occasions you will be able to pair the two together, but some occasions it’s not optimal
The main reason I love wearing sneakers and a dress is quite simple, it is comfortable. When I first saw these sneakers from Liu Jo, I knew I had to add to them my sneaker collection. I always wear gold jewelry and the fact that they were a perfect blend of white and gold sold me on them immediately. Plus, these Liu Jo sneakers had a little bit of a “heel” meaning that the back had a tiny bit of a platform, which I love because it extends the leg and makes it appear longer. I knew these sneakers would be easy to wear with a dress. Following my steps I’ve outlined above, I paired my white and gold sneakers with a white dress and a gold belt from Liu Jo. Great news, currently the sneakers and the White dress are on sale!
Liu Jo was founded in 1995 in Italy by two Italian brothers. A few years ago, they expanded into offering sneakers with their shoes collection, and I couldn’t be more excited. What I love about Liu Jo’s sneakers is they start at a size 35 (5US) which is fits me perfectly! Both the shoes and the dress were true to size and fit perfectly with no alterations needed.
Today, wearing trainers aka sneakers and a dress is completely acceptable in multiple occasions, such as an event, dinner, or even a night out! I find myself leaving my heels at home and wearing sneakers most of the time out now. Personally, I’m so happy this trend of wearing sneakers and a dress isn’t going away anytime soon.
Ladies, I’d love to hear your experience with pairing sneakers with a dress, do you love this trend as much as I do?
Sincerely Petite in Paris,